Why OroCommerce? OroCommerce FAQ
If you’re new to OroCommerce or looking to switch eCommerce platforms, this page will help you learn more about the product and its features.
Who is OroCommerce best for? What kind of companies?
OroCommerce is an excellent fit for mid-market and large enterprises looking to improve their eCommerce presence or take the first step in launching an online platform for their customers. Currently, we successfully serve B2B commerce distributors, manufacturers, wholesalers, suppliers, as well as multi-channel brands (selling both B2B and B2C) in the following verticals:
- Healthcare & Medical Supplies
- Industrial Supplies
- Agriculture, Mining, and Construction
- Energy, Oil, and Gas
- Food and Beverage
- Fashion and apparel
- Automotive parts and accessories
- Appliances and electronics
- Business and consumer services
What roles within these companies can benefit from the software and how?
Almost every business unit can leverage the multitude of benefits provided by OroCommerce.
The executive leadership will appreciate the streamlined operations as they give the business more opportunities to grow, easily scale, and increase the bottom-line in the longer term. In addition, the exec team will be able to leverage robust reporting and centralized KPI dashboard to have a clear view of the company’s performance gaining valuable insight into metrics that can drive actionable decisions by the management.
Marketing leaders will appreciate the flexibility of the system as it would allow them to elevate their marketing initiatives including the ability to create and manage any type of content, personalize the purchasing experience for each customer, including catalog, pricing, payment & shipping options, discounts promotions and more. OroCommerce allows marketing teams to obtain advanced analytics through native reporting engine and from Google Analytics Enhanced Ecommerce.
Sales leaders would be able to leverage the comprehensive built-in CRM capabilities including a 360-degree view of the customer, respond to quotes, create orders, manage the sales pipeline, order on behalf of a customer, and more, all with fully responsive mobile capabilities.
The technology team will have an enterprise-grade open-source system that they can scale across the entire organization be it global or local. The robust dynamic front and back end APIs make it easy for organizations to integrate OroCommerce with any other business application in the organization as well as to leverage PWA capabilities. The flexibility of the system provides customization and configuration capabilities to adhere to any of an organization’s needs to digitize and automate manual processes with our flexible workflows. OroCommerce allows the flexibility to deploy anywhere. Organizations can deploy on any public cloud such as AWS, Azure, or GCP or use OroCloud services which uses Google Cloud Platform (GCP) as the infrastructure layer.
Who is Oro Inc.?
Oro Inc. is a company behind OroCommerce, OroCRM and OroPlatform products. Oro, Inc. was founded in 2012 by industry leaders in open-source business applications. Oro’s founding team consists of Yoav Kutner, Co-Founder and former CTO of Magento; Jary Carter, former VP of Sales and Channel of Magento; and Dima Soroka, former Lead Architect for Magento. Oro Inc. is headquartered in Los Angeles, California, USA, and has offices in Germany, France, Ukraine and Poland.
How does OroCommerce fit into a digital transformation strategy for my business?
The ultimate digital transformation goal is to increase profit. It can be either achieved by backend process optimization or by growing catalog size and attracting more leads and customers. OroCommerce helps businesses with both. By automating order and customer information entry and management and by connecting with your PIM, CRM, ERP, WHM, and other systems, OroCommerce reduces manual data entry and breaks the silos between different data storage in your company. By giving you capabilities to publish your products online and customize your storefront to meet your customers’ demands you increase the amount of new incoming business. Some of our clients managed to double the size of their catalog within months after their launch which, in turn, had a huge positive effect on their sales.
From your experience, what are the challenges other B2B companies are facing?
The most common challenges that we see include:
- Change management – incorporate and adopt new technology tools
- Lack of experience in selling online and the inability to manage an eCommerce store for their customers
- Inability to provide B2B buyers the experience and workflows they require.
- Considerable manual work uploading and updating customer, product and order data
- Data exists in silos preventing organizations from leveraging automation and cost efficiencies.
- Inability to follow the customer journey and optimize it for the best possible customer experience.
- The inability of legacy platforms to function at a large scale with optimal performance.
- Inability to localize experiences based on customer geolocation or mobile device.
- Inability to serve multiple scenarios and sales channels such as B2B, B2C, B2B2C, etc.
- Limited integration possibilities of their current systems and solutions
- Scalability issues, legacy systems hamper their growth.
How much technical experience do business users need to operate the software?
Most back-end users (sales, marketing, operations) do not need any technical background to manage content, landing pages orders, products, pricing rules, discounts, tax rules, page content, SEO tags, etc. Additionally, Oro offers training to customers to make sure they are familiar with the system and operate it appropriately.
What is OroCommerce pricing?
Our Community Edition is free. For our Enterprise Edition pricing, please contact us, as it will depend on the specific needs of your organization.
What does the typical implementation process and timeline for an OroCommerce project look like?
OroCommerce implementation timelines vary depending on the level of customization based on your specific business requirements. The average implementation time is about 6 months.
We highly recommend working with trained OroCommerce solution integrators in your location to ensure the best quality and timeline of your OroCommerce integration.
What kind of training or education is offered?
We offer Technical and Functional training sessions held onsite or online. You can read course descriptions and submit training requests here. Additionally, we have publicly available documentation, community Slack channel, and community discussions at StackOverflow.
Do you have an extension or third-party marketplace? What are the benefits?
Yes, we do have a marketplace. This is a place where our community and partners can submit their extensions and solutions integrated with the Oro suite of products and our customers can download or request ready-made integration bridges and extensions to further enhance their Oro applications. Our marketplace helps cover niche requirements that may not be a priority on our official release roadmap. As the architecture is open-source, marketplace releases can often be adapted easily to cater for wider use cases. It also helps to drive innovation and deliver solutions to our customers in a very cost-efficient way.
Who are your biggest competitors?
- SAP Hybris Commerce
- Salesforce CloudCraze
- Episerver (Insite)
- Adobe Magento
- HCL (IBM Websphere)
- Oracle Cloud Commerce
Why should I consider OroCommerce for B2B eCommerce replatforming?
- OroCommerce is an enterprise-grade, secure, and flexible platform built to solve B2B & B2B2X real-world challenges from the ground up – meaning you can focus on your products and sales more, and web development less.
- Functionality is limitless and you’re never tied to a single developer or agency.
- The total cost of ownership will likely be reduced over the mid to long term.
- The platform supports and enhances your existing sales and marketing teams, with a powerful CRM giving out-of-the-box reporting, segmentation, and automation potential.
- Once migrated to OroCommerce you can be confident the platform will never limit your growth as it’s able to support millions of SKUs and transactions, offer personalized experiences to your customers, provide rich integration opportunities due to the extensive set of backend and front end APIs, SEO friendliness and is secure and stable.
What makes OroCommerce stand out from the competition?
- The Oro team is led by one of the most experienced and successful eCommerce teams in the industry. It is the same team that built Magento. The experience and industry knowledge learned from their time at Magento have now been applied in the OroCommerce product that they designed after eBay acquired Magento in 2011.
- OroCommerce was built from the ground up for the complex needs of multichannel B2B businesses. It means that it can out-of-the-box cover 70%-80% of B2B functionality, whereas most of our competitors create workarounds and hard-coded patches to stretch their platforms’ capabilities.
- Open source technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and dynamic APIs provide the ultimate flexibility organizations need to achieve the rest 20-30% with the ability to extend, customize, integrate and configure the application to match their exact needs.
- The robust design coupled with ultimate flexibility translates into faster time to market for your B2B eCommerce portals.
- Transparent pricing with no hidden costs and commissions on API calls, revenues, transaction numbers.
- Deploy anywhere policy. Easy deployment in any Cloud environment and on-premises.
- 24/7 free support for Enterprise customers.
- Built-in CRM that seamlessly integrates with the eCommerce platform available on-demand at no additional cost.
- Unique Workflow engine that allows an organization to digitize any manual process.
- The ecosystem of solution integrators and partners that drive innovation.
Can OroCommerce handle both B2C & B2B orders?
Yes, easily and out-of-the-box. Read a case study on how one of our customers is doing it.
What is the difference between Community and Enterprise Editions?
Some of the major features available in Enterprise Edition vs free Community edition include:
- Multi-site and multi-org structures for multi-brand and international businesses
- Advanced scalability and performance capabilities
- Elastic search support
- Hosting on OroCloud
- 24/7/365 support
View the full side by side editions comparison here.
If our company already has a CRM, do we need to use Oro’s CRM with OroCommerce?
No, the use of OroCRM is completely optional. You can integrate with the CRM of choice.
Can OroCommerce support a B2B marketplace use case?
OroCommerce offers multi-website management capabilities that allow store owners to easily control multiple websites and vendor portals under the roof of one admin console. This presents owners with a robust platform upon which to build custom solutions. Therefore, OroCommerce makes it possible to group or consolidate different retailers and offer them unique website experiences. These can include pricing according to complex rules, tailored product catalogs, and unique ordering sequences.
What kind of features can customers expect to see in the near future? And longer term?
- Additional open APIs for both storefront and back-office
- More opportunities for PWA with additional open APIs and tighter integration with Front-Commerce
- Improvements to eCommerce reporting engine and report widgets
- Extended out-of-the-box data export/import functionalities
- Advanced filters for the storefront
- Search functionality improvements including autocomplete and relevance boosting features
View the full list here.
What is the technology stack that you are using and why?
Our products are based on Symfony, a high-performance PHP framework. Symfony is one of the most modern and state-of-the-art frameworks providing developers with great development experience and essential testing and security tools, enabling the creation of robust and flexible business software. Oro is able to leverage and benefit from the contribution of Symfony’s 600,000+ developers community to deliver continuous improvements and benefits to our customers.
What business application platforms and software does your product integrate with?
OroCommerce’s robust API allows to integrate with systems such as:
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Product Information Management (PIM)
- Warehouse Management Systems (WMS)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Business Intelligence (BI)
- Ratings & Reviews
- and more.
Some of the systems we already integrate with include, Akeneo, ContentServ, Microsoft Dynamic, Microsoft Great Plains, SAP B1, Epicor Prophet 21, Oracle, Ariba.
Is OroCommerce fully hosted? Where?
Oro’s cloud offering is based on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) which is used as Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) layer for OroCloud. GCP works well for OroCloud because it provides end-to-end security and flexible infrastructure that scales on-demand, at a very competitive price. Google constantly expands its infrastructure by opening new regions and enhancing the network.
But you can also deploy Oro applications in the cloud environment of your choice or on-premises.
Is OroCommerce flexible enough to integrate with any ERP system?
Absolutely! We have already integrated with SAP, Epicor 21, Marello, Unit 4, SBC Solutions ERP, MDS ERP, and Microsoft GP.
Why open source?
Through our years of experience in software development, we have seen a huge benefit of having an Open-Source Strategy that allows our products to be more accessible, innovative, and secure.
Having an ecosystem and community of customers, partners and developers allows our platform to be used and adapted to different verticals, industries, and countries while allowing us to focus on making the platform work for all the emerging requirements our ecosystem sees.
Our community and the tens of thousands of installations of our products help get our products tested for bugs, security, and performance on a scale that is not achievable for proprietary solutions. More accurately the model we chose is called Commercial Open-Source or Dual-License Software, where Oro Inc. is a commercial entity that drives and is in charge of the core product development and quality, as well as the product road-map, which means you get the best of both worlds without any of the downsides, and a proven business model by very successful companies like MySQL, Aquia, and Magento.
In recent years, even large technology companies traditionally seen as proprietary started to understand that open-source can be more secure and that it drives innovation.
Here are some examples: