Why OroCommerce? OroCommerce FAQ
If you’re new to OroCommerce or looking to switch eCommerce platforms, this page will help you learn more about the product and its features.
Who is OroCommerce best for? What kind of companies?
OroCommerce is an excellent fit for mid-market and large enterprises looking to improve their eCommerce presence or take the first step in launching an online platform for their customers. Currently, we successfully serve B2B commerce distributors, manufacturers, wholesalers, suppliers, as well as multi-channel brands (selling both B2B and B2C) in the following verticals:
- Healthcare & medical supplies
- Industrial supplies
- Agriculture, mining, and construction
- Energy, oil, and gas
- Food and beverage
- Fashion and apparel
- Automotive parts and accessories
- Appliances and electronics
- Business and consumer services
What roles within these companies can benefit from the software and how?
Almost every business unit can leverage the multitude of benefits provided by OroCommerce.
Executive leadership will appreciate streamlined operations and added opportunities to grow, scale, and increase the bottom line. Executive teams can leverage robust reporting and a centralized KPI dashboard for a clear view of company performance. By gaining valuable insight into metrics, management can make actionable and timely decisions.
Marketing leaders are able to elevate their marketing initiatives, including the ability to create and manage any type of content. They can personalize the purchasing experience for each customer, including catalog, pricing, payment & shipping options, discounts, promotions, and more. Marketing teams can obtain analytics with native reporting capabilities and plugins such as Google Analytics Enhanced Ecommerce.
Sales leaders can leverage a comprehensive built-in CRM that includes a 360-degree view of the customer. Sales teams can respond to quotes, create orders, manage the sales pipeline, order on behalf of a customer, and more, all with fully responsive mobile capabilities.
Technology teams can quickly scale our enterprise-grade open-source systems across their organization. The robust, dynamic front- and back-end APIs integrate with any business application through various modes and methods, including headless. The system’s flexibility provides customization and configuration capabilities, which extends to a workflow engine for automating manual processes. OroCommerce allows the flexibility to deploy anywhere. Organizations can deploy on any public cloud such as AWS, Azure, or GCP or use OroCloud services which uses Google Cloud Platform (GCP) as the infrastructure layer.
Who is Oro Inc.?
Oro Inc. is a company behind OroCommerce, OroMarketplace, OroCRM and OroPlatform products. Oro, Inc. was founded in 2012 by industry leaders in open-source business applications. Oro’s founding team consists of Yoav Kutner, Co-Founder and former CTO of Magento; Jary Carter, former VP of Sales and Channel of Magento; and Dima Soroka, former Lead Architect for Magento. Oro Inc. is headquartered in Los Angeles, California, USA, and has offices in Germany, France, Ukraine and Poland.
How does OroCommerce fit into a digital transformation strategy for my business?
The ultimate digital transformation goal is to increase profit. It can be either achieved by backend process optimization or by growing catalog size and attracting more leads and customers. OroCommerce helps businesses with both. By automating customer, product, and order entry; by connecting with PIM, CRM, ERP, WHM, and other systems, OroCommerce reduces manual, time-consuming tasks. Silos get taken down, information gets shared, and teams stay focused on company goals.
By giving you the capabilities to publish your products online and customize your storefront to meet customer demands, you increase the amount of new incoming business. Some of our clients saw significant customer adoptions and doubled the size of their catalog within months of launching, which had a positive effect on their sales.
From your experience, what are the challenges other B2B companies are facing?
The most common challenges we see include:
- Change management, incorporating and adopting new technology
- Lack of online selling experience and inability to manage an eCommerce store
- Inability to provide B2B buyers the experience and workflows they require
- Considerable manual work uploading and updating customer, product, and order data
- Data exists in silos, preventing organizations from automating and driving efficiencies
- Inability to follow the customer journey and optimize it for the best customer experience
- Reliance on legacy platforms that cannot function at scale and optimal performance
- Inability to localize experiences based on customer geolocation or mobile device
- Inability to serve multiple scenarios and sales channels such as B2B, B2C, B2B2C, etc.
- Limited integration possibilities of current systems and solutions
How much technical experience do business users need to operate the software?
Most back-end users (sales, marketing, operations) do not need any technical background to manage content, landing pages orders, products, pricing rules, discounts, tax rules, page content, SEO tags, etc. Additionally, Oro offers training to customers to make sure they are familiar with the system and operate it appropriately.
What is OroCommerce pricing?
Our Community Edition is free. For our Enterprise Edition pricing, please contact us, as it will depend on the specific needs of your organization.
What does the typical implementation process and timeline for an OroCommerce project look like?
OroCommerce implementation timelines vary depending on the level of customization based on your specific business requirements. The average implementation time is about six months.
We highly recommend working with trained OroCommerce solution integrators in your location to ensure the best quality and timeline of your OroCommerce integration.
What kind of training or education is offered?
We offer Technical and Functional training sessions held onsite or online. You can read course descriptions and submit training requests here. Additionally, we have publicly available documentation, community Slack channel, and community discussions at StackOverflow.
Do you have an extension or third-party marketplace? What are the benefits?
Yes, we do have a marketplace. This is a place where our community and partners can submit their extensions and solutions integrated with the Oro suite of products. Our customers can download or request ready-made integration bridges and extensions to enhance their Oro applications. Our marketplace helps cover niche requirements that may not be a priority on our official release roadmap. As the architecture is open-source, marketplace releases can often be adapted easily to cater to wider use cases. It also helps to drive innovation and deliver quality solutions to our customers in a very cost-efficient way.
Who are your biggest competitors?
- SAP Hybris Commerce
- Salesforce CloudCraze
- Episerver (Insite)
- Adobe Magento
- HCL (IBM Websphere)
- Oracle Cloud Commerce
Why should I consider OroCommerce for B2B eCommerce replatforming?
- OroCommerce is an enterprise-grade, secure, and flexible platform built to solve B2B & B2B2X real-world challenges from the ground up – meaning you can focus on your products and sales more, and web development less.
- A powerful 600,000+ strong ecosystem means that functionality is practically limitless. Plus, you’re never tied to a single developer or agency.
- Depending on your business and order volumes, your total cost of ownership will likely be reduced over the mid to long term.
- The platform supports and enhances your existing sales and marketing teams, with a powerful CRM giving out-of-the-box reporting, segmentation, and automation potential.
- Forget about outgrowing your system. OroCommerce supports millions of SKUs, transactions, and integration opportunities and provides customers with rich web and personalized experiences.
What makes OroCommerce stand out from the competition?
- The Oro team is led by one of the most experienced and successful eCommerce teams in the industry. It is the same team that built Magento. The experience and industry knowledge learned from their time at Magento has been incorporated in OroCommerce, the product they designed after eBay acquired Magento in 2011.
- OroCommerce was built from the ground up for the complex needs of multi-channel B2B businesses. It means that it can cover 70%-80% of B2B functionality out-of-the-box whereas most of our competitors create workarounds and hard-coded patches to stretch their platforms’ capabilities.
- Open source technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and dynamic APIs provide the ultimate flexibility organizations need to achieve the other 20-30%. They can extend, customize, integrate and configure the application to match their exact needs.
- The robust design coupled with flexibility translates into a faster time to market for B2B eCommerce projects.
- Transparent pricing with no hidden costs and commissions on API calls, revenues, transaction numbers.
- Deploy anywhere policy. Easy deployment in any Cloud environment and on-premises.
- 24/7 free support for Enterprise customers.
- Built-in CRM that seamlessly integrates with the eCommerce platform available on-demand at no additional cost.
- Unique workflow engine that allows an organization to digitize any manual process.
- A large ecosystem of solution integrators and partners that drive innovation.
Can OroCommerce handle both B2C & B2B orders?
Yes, easily and out-of-the-box. Read a case study on how one of our customers is doing it.
What is the difference between Community and Enterprise Editions?
Some of the major features available in Enterprise Edition vs free Community edition include:
- Multi-site and multi-org structures for multi-brand and international businesses
- Advanced scalability and performance capabilities
- Elastic search support
- Hosting on OroCloud
- 24/7/365 support
View the full side-by-side comparison on our B2B eCommerce features page.
If our company already has a CRM, do we need to use Oro’s CRM with OroCommerce?
No, the use of OroCRM is completely optional. You can integrate with the CRM of choice.
Can OroCommerce support a B2B marketplace use case?
Whereas OroCommerce has multi-vendor capabilities, businesses that want to build standalone pure-play marketplaces should use our OroMarketplace solution. It inherited all the B2B features of OroCommerce and natively integrates with OroCRM, but gained a range of marketplace-specific features. Here’s the full marketplace features list.
What kind of features can customers expect to see in the near future? And longer term?
- Additional open APIs for both storefront and back-office
- More opportunities for PWA with additional open APIs and tighter integration with Front-Commerce
- Improvements to eCommerce reporting engine and report widgets
- Extended out-of-the-box data export/import functionalities
- More user experience options for the storefront
- Search functionality improvements including autocomplete and relevance boosting features
View the full list here.
What is the technology stack that you are using and why?
Our products are based on Symfony, a high-performance PHP framework. Symfony is one of the most modern and state-of-the-art frameworks providing developers with great development experience and essential testing and security tools, enabling the creation of robust and flexible business software. Oro is able to leverage and benefit from the contribution of Symfony’s 600,000+ community of developers to deliver continuous improvements and benefits to our customers.
What business application platforms and software does your product integrate with?
OroCommerce’s robust API allows to integrate with systems such as:
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Product Information Management (PIM)
- Warehouse Management Systems (WMS)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Business Intelligence (BI)
- Ratings & Reviews Tools
- Loyalty Tools
- and more.
Some of the systems we already integrate with include, Akeneo, ContentServ, Microsoft Dynamic, Microsoft Great Plains, SAP B1, Epicor Prophet 21, Oracle, and Ariba.
Is OroCommerce fully hosted? Where?
Oro’s cloud offering is based on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) which is used as Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) layer for OroCloud. GCP works well for OroCloud because it provides end-to-end security and flexible infrastructure that scales on-demand, at a very competitive price. Google constantly expands its infrastructure by opening new regions and enhancing the network.
You can also deploy Oro applications in the cloud environment of your choice or on-premises.
Is OroCommerce flexible enough to integrate with any ERP system?
Absolutely! We have already integrated with SAP, Epicor 21, Marello, Unit 4, SBC Solutions ERP, MDS ERP, and Microsoft GP.
Why open source?
Through our years of experience in software development, we have seen a huge benefit of having an Open-Source Strategy that allows our products to be more accessible, innovative, and secure.
Having an ecosystem and community of customers, partners and developers allows our platform to be used and adapted to different verticals, industries, and countries while allowing us to focus on making the platform work for all the emerging requirements our ecosystem sees.
Our community and tens of thousands of product installations help get our products tested for bugs, security, and performance on a scale that is not achievable for proprietary solutions. More accurately, the model we chose is called Commercial Open-Source or Dual-License Software, where Oro Inc. is a commercial entity that drives and is in charge of the core product development and quality. We also control the product roadmap, which means you get the best of both worlds without any downsides. It’s a proven business model used by successful companies like MySQL, Aquia, and Magento.
In recent years, even large technology companies traditionally seen as proprietary started to understand that open-source can be more secure and that it drives innovation.
Here are some examples: