New features – OroCommerce
The flagship feature of this OroCommerce release is matrix order forms for configurable products. We also added FedEx integration for shipping estimates, introduced price attribute APIs, and improved performance of store pages aiming for quicker load times.
Matrix order forms
This feature establishes a clear and intuitive user experience for ordering products with one or two configurable attributes. Think of a T-shirt that comes in various colors and sizes, or a brand of chips that goes in different flavors.
The new matrix form interface will allow the customers to see all the possible variations of such product in a single screen—and to shop for all of them simultaneously as well. This interface streamlines the purchase process, makes it easier and friendlier to the customers, who definitely should appreciate the new look and feel of your store.
Matrix forms can be enabled at System > Configuration > Commerce > Product > Configurable products. There are separate settings for every major stage of store browsing and shopping: product listings, product views, and shopping lists.
Matrix form UI comes in two variations: inline forms where product quantities can be edited directly on the product page or in the shopping list (please note that this variation is not available in the gallery view due to space constraints), or popup forms where the editable matrix opens in a popup window. Choose the form that better fits the design of your store!
Optional selection of product variations
In order to streamline and speed up the purchase process we have added one more feature to the matrix form controls: Ability to add a configurable product to the shopping list without specifying any quantities or choosing exact variations. From the customer standpoint this feature means they can quickly choose the products they want to buy and decide the exact specifics later at the checkout stage.
Products added this way will be displayed at the checkout page as empty matrices. They can be edited the same way as regular matrices, but if the customer will proceed to checkout with an empty matrix in the list, it will be stripped from the order.
To enable this feature, select Allow To Add Empty Products checkbox at System > Configuration > Commerce > Product > Configurable products.
Hide simple product variations
In OroCommerce, the configurable product is actually a collection of simple products with the same general properties bar the values of configurable attributes. Naturally, these products are available in the product catalog along with “regular” non-configurable products—but since these simples can be more easily and naturally ordered via a cell in a matrix form, there is no real value of displaying them in the catalog on their own. Seeing the same product in two different pages might actually confuse the customer.
To avoid these potentially confusing situations and clean up the product catalog we now allow to hide all simple variations of a configurable product from the store. This can be done with a setting at System > Configuration > Commerce > Product > Configurable products > Variations. Please note that this setting affects only variations, and does not change the appearance of “regular” products.
FedEx shipping integration
FedEx integration allows you to use FedEx as a shipping method, providing shipping estimates for various FedEx services to the customer during checkout. All regular FedEx shipping services are supported; the exact list of services presented to the customer will vary depending on the shipment size, weight, and delivery address.
Export and import price attribute data
Product price data like base price, cost, MSRP, or MAP can now be exported or imported from the Price Attributes page in the admin panel (Products > Price Attributes). Exported CSV file will contain all unique combinations of SKU, price attributes, unit, and currency; same should be true for a file you are going to import.
We have improved and expanded system configuration search feature that has been introduced in 2.4 release.
- The search now includes text configuration values (e.g. email signatures)
- Fuzzy search (Fuse.js-based) allows you to find the desired config even if you made a typo
- Little improvements and tweaks of the search UI for better user experience
It is now possible to send email notifications to entity fields marked as emails. For example, you may set up a notification rule that will send an email to the author of contact request (using the Email Address field of the Contact request entity).
Other features and improvements
- OroCommerce frontend now supports iPhone X screen
schema.orgmarkup for products and product information is now present at all catalog pages, allowing for better search engine readability of the catalog content
- Product edit page in the admin panel now loads asynchronously, allowing for quicker loading time
- Homepage and product listings are now available in the blank theme to make customization of the store front easier
- Order API now includes promotions and discount values
- Event organizer is now shown at calendar events
- Unsafe tags are now stripped from email headers and bodies, improving email security without compromising email functionality and performance
- Error levels are now logged for MailChimp integration
- Marketing list updates and MailChimp exports were optimized
- Websocket server subscriptions now require authorization via token (ticket)
- ID column is now included by default to all grid exports
DoctrineBundlehas been upgraded to 1.6.5
- PHP 7.0 is no longer supported; 7.1 is the minimum version required
- Query designer and segmentation components were refactored to make them independent from entity selector control
- Adding product to the shopping list does not work on mobile browsers for application with demo data
- Mass actions are missing from the product grid in the admin panel
- System configuration cannot be changed after using the API
- Mass delete action is not available at grids when workflow step filter is enabled
- The latest kernel of Ubuntu (confirmed in 4.13.0-31) contains a bug which breaks Elasticsearch 2.x—please avoid this kernel version for OroCommerce servers.