Global Currency Configuration¶
Global currency configuration helps you:
- Add and remove currencies from the allowed currencies list.
- Set the base currency.
- Specify the conversion rate to and from the base currency.
- Define the order used when the currencies are displayed to the storefront and management console users.
- Toggle between the currency display formats (currency code, e.g. USD, and currency symbol, e.g. $).
The website level configuration has higher priority and overrides these configuration settings.
To change the default global currency settings:
- Navigate to System > Configuration in the main menu.
- Select System Configuration > General Setup > Currency in the menu to the left.
For faster navigation between the configuration menu sections, use Quick Search.
The Currency Settings page opens. It contains the following information:
Base — A flag that marks the base currency that is used by default to display totals, budgets, and amounts.
Currency Name — International name of the currency that follows ISO 4217 standard (e.g. US dollar).
Currency Code — International currency code that follows ISO 4217 standard (e.g. USD).
Currency Symbol — Graphical symbol that is used to denote a currency (e.g. $).
Rate From — The conversion rate from the selected currency to the base currency. Used to calculate transaction amounts (e.g. opportunity budget) in the base currency if they were entered in other currencies. Maximum precision is 10 digits.
Rate To — The conversion rate from the base currency to the selected currency. Used to calculate new exchange rates when the base currency is changed. Maximum precision is 10 digits.
Display Format — A toggle between the ISO code and symbol representation of the currency.
The order subtotal when the display format is set to Currency Code:
The order subtotal when the display format is set to Currency Symbol:
To customize the Display Format:
- Clear the Use Default check box next to the option.
- Select the new option value (either Currency Code or Currency Symbol).
To change the base currency, click the Base option in the corresponding row.
Changing base currency requires manual update of the money values (budgets, totals, revenues, etc.). You will be prompted to confirm the change.
To modify the currency exchange rate to and from the base currency, edit the Rate To and Rate From values in the corresponding row.
To add a currency to the allowed currencies list:
Select the currency from the Allowed Currencies list and click Add next to it.
The currency is appended to the top of the list.
- Fill in the exchange rate to and from the base currency.
To delete a currency from the allowed currencies list, click the Delete Currency icon at the end of the corresponding row.
Deleting base currency is restricted. To unblock delete action for the currency that is set as base, switch to a different base currency.
To change the currency sort order, click and hold the Sort icon, and drag the currency up or down the list.
To roll back any changes to the currency settings, click Revert on the top right.
- Click Save Settings.