Marketing during the year’s winter holidays presents a unique opportunity for advertisers. Luckily, brands and their creative marketing teams do not limit themselves to flash sales and hype discounts for this magical season. They choose to tear their customers’ heartstrings in hopes of getting a fraction of those warm and fuzzy feelings attributed to their brands.
Here are the top 7 holiday marketing campaigns that we believe pulled out all the stops to touch our hearts this year.
Warning: tissues are mandatory!
1. Nos, Portuguese media, and telecom company. Have you ever dreamt of talking to Santa? This young boy’s father lets him in on a big Christmas secret – Santa’s phone number. The young boy can’t help but let his friends in on it too, and it looks like no one else can resist sharing the news. Guess who’s getting the calls? If you’ve lost any of your holiday luster this year, this magical story is sure to make you Believe Again.
2. Farmers, the New Zealand mid-market department store chain. Farmer’s Christmas campaign tells us a story of a gruff old man slyly playing Secret Santa to help out his neighbors, but he receives an unexpected gift in return. While we can’t help but smile at this old man’s thoughtful gesture we remember that it’s the little things that make the biggest difference in the lives of those around us this season.
3. Glade, Johnson and Johnson’s fragrances and products brand. If you have a little extra warmth and light this season, there is nothing more meaningful than sharing it with someone that may have a little less. In this case, an extra strand of Christmas lights from a caring neighbor in Glade’s Christmas ad was all that an elderly man needed to brighten his holiday.
4. HP, a multinational information technology company. In HP’s holiday advertising campaign, “Create Wonder in Your World”, an innovative young woman recognizes an opportunity to bring a little magic to a young girl’s life. She cleverly brings her neighbors together to put on an impromptu holiday puppet show on the girl’s apartment balcony, reminding us to never pass on an opportunity to brighten someone’s day.
5. Penny, a German supermarket chain. This powerful Christmas campaign really hits home during the holidays. As a mother braves the treacherous journey to reconcile with her daughter, we realize that no matter how long the path may seem, Christmas is a time for setting aside our differences.
6. Migros, Switzerland’s largest retail company, and largest supermarket chain. Migros’ adorable semi-animated commercial tells the story of a fictional “barcode scanner” that wants nothing more than to join in on the holiday cheer. A checkout girl notices that he’s lonely and helps him reunite with friends of his own kind, reminding us that no one should go forgotten this season.
7. Coca-Cola. In our eyes, it just wouldn’t be Christmas without Coca-Cola’s annual holiday commercial. This year’s campaign reminds us that it’s the season to say thank you to all of the people who go out of their way to make your holiday magical. With Coca-Cola’s iconic message “Say Thank You with a Coke”, this young boy does just that; for his father, neighbor, shop worker, and of course, Santa.
We hope that you find these holiday marketing campaigns as inspiring as they are entertaining. Happy New Year! May your 2018 be filled with an abundance of love, joy and prosperity!