Today we’ll be demonstrating how to create tags and taxonomy using OroCRM.Tags are user generated keywords or phrases that are created and assigned to records. Tags are helpful to organize data in meaningful ways without having to add entirely new fields.
OroCRM supports tags on nearly every entity by default and can be used to filter records, generate reports, segment into groups, set rules and more.
Taxonomy is a way to color code your tags to make them stand out from other tags. For example, you may have several different tiers of vendors,you can create a taxonomy color to assign to the tag, so that all vendors are flagged with a red tag.
We can demonstrate this example by navigating to the main system menu and use the drop down to select tags management and then taxonomy.
- Click the create taxonomy button in the top right hand of the corner of the screen.
- A short form loads with the owner pre-populated with the user who created the taxonomy but this value can be changed to another user of the system.
- Create a name for the taxonomy. For our example I will use “Vendors” and identify these with the color red by checking the red box under the color option.
- Click save and close in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- You can always return to the taxonomy grid by clicking on the bread crumb in the top left hand corner of the screen.
To apply this taxonomy to a new tag, navigate to the main system menu and select tags management and then tags.
- Click the Create Tag button in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- A short form loads with the owner field pre-populated with the system user who creates the tag but this value can be changed to any system user.
- Create a name for the tag. For our example I’ll use Tier1Vendor
- Choose the taxonomy we created in the last step. Select “Vendors”
- Click the save and close button in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- You are then returned to the tag grid. As you can see our new tag is now displayed with the color red and any time this tag is applied to a record, that tag will be red.
- We can demonstrate applying tags to records by navigating to the contacts grid.
- Navigate to the customer menu and use the drop down to select contacts.
- Hover over the tags column and a pencil icon displays.
- Click the pencil icon to open the field for editing.
- You will notice that any available tags already created are listed. Select our newly created tag.
- Check the checkmark to confirm
- As you can see our newly created tag and taxonomy are displayed in the tags column.
- Tags can also be created and applied on the fly when reviewing records. Click on the pencil icon and instead of selecting a tag, manually type in a new tag name.
- Click the checkmark to confirm the edit and close the field.
- To narrow down results to a certain tag, you can use the “tags” filter. This will list only the records which have been specified with the tag name entered into the search box. Tags can also be used for segmentation or reporting purposes.
Thanks for watching!